Has Your Spouse Abandoned You And You Need Child Support? Take Action Fast

If you and your spouse have separated but nothing has been legally documented, and they aren't helping you with child support even though they are no longer in the home, you need to call a lawyer. You shouldn't have to pay all the bills on your own and care for the children, and it's time to file for separation or divorce and to file for child support.

There are many factors that will go into the case, and you want your lawyer to start working quickly so you can get the relief and support that you need. Here are a few of the things you'll want to talk about with your lawyer.

Date of Potential Abandonment  

Details about your case may show that your spouse abandoned you and the children. You need to have the exact date that your spouse left, along with information proving that they have not been home. This could be a big factor in your case and getting the support that you need. You also may be able to get back child support from the date that they left forward, instead of from when you file the case.

Financial Assistance

You will need to prove that your spouse has not been contributing to the bills since they left the home. Ways to do this include:

  • Banking accounts
  • Receipts for all bills
  • Automatic payment information for direct deposits

Providing your spouse's employment information can be beneficial. This way your lawyer can find out how much they are making and withholding. If you can prove that they don't have money going into your joint accounts, or that you are using your personal accounts for all the bills, this can be the evidence you need.

Proof of Unstable Parenting

It should be easy to prove that the parent is unstable and unreliable when you file for custody. Your lawyer may suggest filing immediately for sole custody, especially if you can prove that your kids were abandoned by their other parent. This will also help with your child support case if your spouse has been proven an unfit parent.

If your spouse suddenly left, you don't know where they are and they aren't helping financially, you need to act urgently and get custody of your kids. File for the child support that you need, and get legally separated or divorced from your spouse so you can start to get your financial life back in order. 

For more information, contact a local child support lawyer